- ensure that EDDC supports my efforts to retain Seaton Hospital. I set up and chair Seaton Area Health Matters and a business case has recently been submitted to NHS Devon Clinical Commissioning Group and the Royal Devon & Exeter Trust to use the Seaton Hospital site as a Health & Wellbeing Hub for the region by retaining and expanding the clinics and services and for voluntary services to operate from the hub. A focus would be on preventative help to try to reduce admissions for operations and stays in an acute hospital environment.
- having been a Town Councillor for the last 3 years and having the honour of being Mayor and deputy Mayor I have seen examples of EDDC Officers making delegated decisions that affect Seaton where EDDC Councillors have not had an opportunity to debate and vote on the subject. I want to find out the extent of the delegated powers and, where necessary, question those powers.
- take action to tackle the provision of social housing that needs to be built to a high standard and well planned utilising brownfield sites. We need to ensure that younger people have the opportunity to live and work in the town who cannot afford to buy property for whatever reason at that stage of their lives.
I am a local tradesman, born and raised in Seaton, working for my family run scaffolding business in the area. I currently serve as a councillor 0f Seaton Town Council and wish to become a district councillor to better serve my community. Due to my background in construction, my keen focus is on housing, leisure facilities and development, believing that Seaton has been let down for too long when it comes to new housing and infrastructure in the area.
By becoming an East Devon District Councillor, I hope to:
- Push to kick start developments that have stagnated and been left, which in turn will boost employability prospects within the town.
- Put an emphasis on acquiring new green and community leisure related space for Seaton’s residents.
- Aim to reverse the decision made by EDDC stating Seaton Hospital is not a community asset.
- Ensure that Seaton builds more affordable housing, with a strong prominence on social housing.
- Work to ensure Seaton’s Swimming Pool doesn’t close within the next year.
- Boost the vitality of the town, ensuring Seafront Enhancement gets backing at a district level.